Soya Njano is the bean for home consumption…
A short radio series called INUKA was developed to start conversations with bean farmers in Tanzania. It was broadcast on Radio Free Africa, a station with nationwide coverage in Tanzania. The sixth episode was broadcast on Sunday 12 July 2015 between 7:00 – 7:30 pm. It was commissioned by N2Africa and production co-ordinated by Farm Radio International.
The poll question were designed to understand the preferred bean variety for consumption and the reasons behind those preferences.
A total of 1030 listeners participated in the poll.
Question : “What bean variety do you normally consume at home?”
- 474 (46%) respondents said soya njano
- 202 (10%) respondents said Kitenge
- 134 (13%) respondents said Soya Kijivu.
- 75 (7%) respondents said they do not consume beans
- 145 (14%) respondents mentioned other varieties including red beans, white beans, Rosecoco, Iringa, common beans, combat, black beans and Kishumbaa